Summer in the City
The Christies staff knows how to do summer right and here’s our list of local Must-Do items! Check ‘em off your list if you haven’t already and let us know which you love the most too!
1. Coming in at #1 is of course the Sasktel Saskatchewan Jazz Festival. There are more free events this year which makes incredible music more accessible for all! I’m looking forward to seeing Malika Tirolien (all the way from Guadeloupe!) on July 1st.
2. Our number 2 spot is Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan! I love this festival because it’s exciting and innovative, all while making Shakespeare engaging for everyone. They are showcasing Romeo and Juliet this year which runs from July 4th to August 20th.
3. In 3rd place: enjoying our gorgeous river! We love spending time by the banks, getting some sun, and just taking in summer. Bring a book, a baguette, whatever suits you!
4. Try your hand at something new at the Mayfair Lawn Bowling Club! It’s a Canadian spin on traditional Italian bocce ball and incredibly fun. We’re always pleased to support Mayfair endeavors because that’s our original neighborhood.
5. Rock the River! This year’s lineup has some fantastic Canadian talent and I’m very excited to see April Wine and Chilliwack (yes I’m a 70s kid). You’ll definitely see a few Christies faces there this year!
6. Local patios! There are more fantastic patios to enjoy in Saskatoon than we can count. The Broadway area is an obvious place to check out, but don’t forget the hidden gems in our city. O’Shea’s Pub downtown is a great one too - ask for Brad behind the bar and tell him that Christies sent you!
7. This one is out of the ordinary but highly recommended if you like speed… the Sutherland Automotive Speedway! You can watch competitive racing in numerous different divisions in a variety of events. Grab a drink and a hot dog (buns courtesy of us, of course) and imagine yourself on the track with the pros!
8. The library! What a gem but often forgotten, it’s one of my personal favourite places regardless of the season. There’s guaranteed to be one in your neighborhood. You can get out of the heat, pick up the latest thriller, learn a new language, and take the kids (or grandkids) to fantastic free programming. Pooh’s Corner at the downtown location is extra special!
9. Show and Shine! Do you love classic vehicles, Elvis, and rootbeer? If you answered yes, then this is the event for you. It’s Western Canada’s largest car show, attracts folks from all over the province, and is always a good time. Rumour has it that a few Christies staff have classic cars of their own - maybe you’ll see them out there!
10. And last but not least, in number 10 position is YXE Food Truck Wars. (We do love food!) This event is family, pet, and environmentally complete with vendors, performances, and eating contests. I’m hoping for deep-fried grilled cheese on a stick but we’ll see what I can find this year!
That’s a wrap on our list! We hope we’ve suggested something for everyone to help you enjoy our brief but gorgeous Saskatoon summer. See you out there!