Christies Bakery Covid-19 Response Plan June 2020
Over the course of the 88 years that Christies Bakery has been in business in Saskatoon, the times have literally been a changin’. Many challenges, trends, and also positives have beset the business, but none have had such rapid and widespread effects as the current Covid-19 pandemic.
Through the hard work and perseverance of our family and staff we have been able to keep our doors open throughout this complicated period. We have, and will continue to work through new challenges that arise daily so we can keep our staff employed and continue to bring quality, handmade breads, pastries and foods to our loyal customer base.
Our colleagues at Prairie Dog Brewing in Calgary have composed a thorough and transparent analysis of how the pandemic is affecting their business and illustrates the challenges that are common to all of us in the food and beverage industry. Their approach is helping inform the Playbook we are using to guide us through the coming months as we reopen our dine-in service and continue to operate our pickup and delivery services. Check out the above link to read more if you are interested.
We Are Doing This Now
As many of you know, we have:
- changed operating hours, 9am – 4pm Tuesday-Saturday
- reduced our regular bread and pastry product lines to ensure we can manage the demand
- started a contactless delivery option with a complimentary online ordering system (including contactless pickup) that has received great reviews and been adopted very quickly.
- installed plexiglass dividers at service areas
- allowed only 3 customers in store at a time to ensure proper 2 metre social distancing
What We Are Planning
We are happy to announce the following timeline for the resumption of our pizza and sandwich service at Il Secondo on Broadway Avenue:
Week of June 15 takeout only from 11-3, Tuesday through Saturday
Week of June 22 takeout or dine in from 11-3, Tuesday through Saturday
As we begin to offer expanded service in our locations we will be implementing:
- Selected favourites (not the full menu) from our pizza and sandwich offerings
- Increased store hours for retail, 9am – 5pm Tuesday-Saturday
- Time limits for sitting in at tables
- Reduced seating capacity with safe spacing in between tables
- Increased frequency for sanitation of all contact areas, seating areas and bathrooms
- All food served in takeout containers as well as no self serve water and coffee stations
- Strictly enforced social distancing as per public health guidelines
- Food service only from 11-3
- Bathrooms will remain locked and only opened for dine in customers upon request
- To help promote social distancing as well as reduce congestion in our entryways, a staff member will act as a host guiding customers to the appropriate areas for retail/takeout service and will seat customers at tables for those wishing to eat in
- We ask customers that are eating in to leave out the East doors in order to maintain social distance
At Christies Mayfair Bakery on 33rd Street we will continue to operate from 9am – 4pm, Tuesday through Saturday for all of your bread and pastry needs. Pizza Thursdays continue to be a popular lunch option, come grab one on Thursday before they are gone. Starting the week of June 15 we will resume sandwich service from 11am-2pm daily. All products, bread, pastry, coffee, and sandwiches will be for take out only. The dining area will remain closed so that we can implement proper social distancing.
We realize that some of our new practices and policies are different from what you have come to know and expect when you visit us at our Mayfair or Il Secondo locations. Foremost, we are committed to the safety and health of our employees and our customers. We are learning and adapting quickly so that you can continue to enjoy our delicious and quality baking whether it’s with us or in the convenience of your own home. We ask that you direct questions and concerns regarding these policies to management rather than to service staff in store. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions/suggestions or sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date on product offerings and operational changes.
Thanks again to all of our loyal customers for your continued patronage, support and well wishes.
The Muzzolini Family and Christies Staff