2020 is finally in the rear view mirror. Finally. The entire world can let out one big sigh of relief. With the start of a new year comes resolutions and newly inspired decisions to make changes in our lives to improve ourselves. If you’re still looking for inspiration, here are some ideas to make some changes in your life and get your 2021 off to a great start.
Try cooking more
- This seems to always be near the top of everyone’s list every year, and with good reason. When you cook at home, you save money, practice a valuable skill, and for the most part end up eating healthier. An easy way to get started is to try one new recipe each week. Or cook the same recipe once a week until you’ve perfected it! You can subscribe to multiple recipe services that deliver ingredients to your door. We even offer virtual cooking classes from Local Kitchen YXE. Check one out and give yourself a challenge!
- Among a multitude of other things, 2020 showed us just how important it is to support local. Small, independent business took a hit, and without the support of the community, would’ve had an even harder time surviving. We can continue supporting our neighbours in 2021 and beyond, and take the trend one step further by treating the workers like our own family members. The smallest signs of gratitude and understanding go a long way and make everyone’s day a little bit brighter!
Give back and donate
- Here’s a way to kill two birds with one stone, as the saying goes. Lots of us clear out our closets or start the new year off with a new wardrobe. After cleaning out clothes you no longer need, you can do the same with your kitchen cupboards. Grab any plates, cutlery or glassware you no longer need and box them up. There are plenty of local organizations that are always looking for donations of clothes and kitchenware. Declutter and do a good deed. You can’t do much better than that!
- Another one that finds its way on everyone's list year after year, and once again with good reason. When we focus on our health and improving it, everything else gets better. Moods improve, appetites as well, and our sleep schedule seems to fall in place. There’s no need to sprint to the gym and start lifting heavy weights, but we can start with small steps. Try walking instead of driving when you can, start your day off with stretching or meditation, and do little workouts at home like jumping jacks, pushups or situps.
- One that goes hand in hand with cooking more and exercising. Eating healthy doesn’t mean cutting out meat and switching to a purely plant based diet, but like with most things, we can start small and gradually improve. Try getting takeout only once a week or month, or cut it out completely and only have it in emergency situations. Instead of snacking on chips, substitute some crunchy vegetables like carrots or snap peas.