Trent's Coconut Ginger Soup
Soup season is upon us, and we've got an exclusive soup recipe from Scratch Provisions owner Trent Loewen. If you weren't aware, Trent is a Red Seal chef that trained (and taught) at Stratford Chefs School.
It is a super quick and easy soup you can easily make at home. But don't let the simplicity fool you, it's very tasty. Prep is quick and there’s room to add your own twist to it!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 onion diced
- 3-5 garlic cloves chopped
- 3-4 inches of ginger, shaved and chopped
- olive oil
- Turmeric (optional)
- Curry Powder (optional)
- 8 cups of diced pumpkin (can substitute butternut squash, carrot, or sweet potato)
- 2 (405 millilitre) cans of coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan or pot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- If you want, add a pinch of turmeric or curry powder. Add the carrots - This is where you can add your own flair. You can substitute butternut squash or sweet potato or any vegetable you want!
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables and add a pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil and simmer until your vegetable of choice is nice and tender.
- Add the coconut milk and use a blender to mix everything together until it's smooth - I use a hand blender, but any blender will get the job done.
- Season to taste and adjust the consistency if needed.
When serving you can garnish with any of the following:
- Toasted coconut
- Pumpkin seeds
- Grilled Apples
- Pea Shoots